Residence of students in Bulgaria (CR in Bulgaria)

Status “continuous residence” in Bulgaria may also be obtained by students of Bulgarian higher education institutions (HEIs). So, if you want to study in Bulgaria, no problem. One only needs to undergo the procedure of enrolling in the selected higher education institution, after which you will be able to obtain CR status in Bulgaria as a student unobstructed. Teaching in Bulgaria is in Bulgarian language, although there are several profiled universities, in which teaching is in English.

We draw your attention to the fact that part-time students will not be able to acquire CR in Bulgaria status.


Art. 24c. Foreigners, who have an E visa under art. 15, para. 1 and have been admitted as full-time students in a higher education institutions, students, admitted in the territory of the country for study in the secondary level of education within the framework of an exchange programme or as trainees without remuneration, may also obtain an authorisation for continuous residence.

List of documents and conditions for admission to HEIs in Bulgaria (obligatory)

The university may require other additional documents at its discretion.

Documents to be submitted to the university or MES (Ministry of Education and Science) within September 1st in the year of application:

  • A completed application with indicated biographical data, selected course and knowledge of foreign languages
  • A copy of the diploma of secondary education with supplement with grades
  • A copy of the diploma of higher education with an indication of acquired qualification degree bachelor/master in the case of continuing studies
  • A medical certificate
  • Copies of personal documents, including passport, documents proving citizenship (in case of dual citizenship)
  • Colour photos

The diploma of secondary/higher education and the medical certificate of the applicant must be translated and legalized.

The documents are sent to MES for a procedure of granting a long-term residence visa (visa D).

Foreign students must have completed preliminary courses in Bulgarian language.

We would like to draw your attention to the fact that the Migration Centre does not form a package price, you will pay exclusively for the services you use (insurance, translation, legalization, etc.)